CBD for Dogs: What You Need to Know
Dogs are much more than pets. They are integral parts of our families, providing us with loyal companionship after a long day at work ― and then some. It’s thought that wolves, the ancestor of all modern dogs, first provided Neolithic hunter-gatherers with companionship some 12,000 to 15,000 years ago. Since then, dogs have evolved and come in all breeds and sizes. Their quirky natures provide today’s humans with protection, joy and happiness for millions of households.
A dog’s health and wellness needs are surprisingly much like that of their human owners. Dogs suffer from common health problems, such as cataracts, arthritis, broken bones, ear infections and more. But unlike humans, dogs can’t tell us what exactly ails them. It’s up to owners to notice subtle changes in mood and behavior.
It’s thought that dogs have an endocannabinoid (ECS) system just like their owners. The ECS is theorized to be present in all mammals and is believed to promote overall balance and homeostasis. Essentially, the ECS is a biological system made up of cannabinoids produced naturally by the body and CB1 and CB2 receptors.
Together, the system is believed to control many biological processes, such as mood, learning and memory, and chronic pain and inflammation. What this means is that your dog’s overall wellness may benefit from the cannabinoids found in CBD oil extracted from hemp.
What is CBD Oil?
CBD is short for cannabidiol, one of many compounds found in hemp and marijuana plants. CBD oil is extracted from the flowering parts of the marijuana and hemp plants. However, unlike the CBD extracted from marijuana, CBD derived from hemp must contain less than 0.30 percent tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) by law.
THC is the main psychoactive compound found in marijuana that produces the sensation of being “high”. If you are going to supplement your dog’s diet with CBD products, the American Kennel Club recommends giving your dog products with little or no THC in the product.
How Will My Dog Benefit From CBD?
Your furry loved ones require just as much love and attention as their human counterparts. The same goes for their medical, dental and mental health, all of which require periodic wellness checkups and treatment.
Some of the more common ailments affecting humans also affect dogs. Here are a few ways CBD oil products may improve the overall wellness and health of your dog:
Supports a calmer disposition– Human studies have concluded that CBD may have properties that help reduce anxiety. Any time you’ve left your dog alone for extended periods of time and returned home to torn seat cushions or “accidents”, we are generally talking about anxiety issues precipitated by separation. The same holds for “jumpy” dogs who bark at the slightest noise. Some dog owners have observed that their pets are much calmer after introducing CBD oil into their diets.
Better Joint health and connective tissue-Certain breeds of dogs are highly susceptible to dysplasia of the bone joints that can cause painful osteoarthritis, often leading to refusal to exercise or go on extended walks. Dysplasia has been identified by veterinarians as one of the most commonly inherited ailments among dogs. CBD has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties, which may alleviate some symptoms of joint disorders and muscle spasticity.
May support healthy cognition-Human studies have shown that participants given specific doses of CBD oil, reported significantly fewer depressive symptoms and exhibited improvements in attentional switching, verbal learning, and memory. Your dog may benefit from a broad-spectrum CBD product to help your older dogs stay happy and alert. In other words, it still may be possible to teach an old dog new tricks.
Pain Management-As your pet ages, chances are aches and pains will become more common over time. Your dog may become more of a couch potato and show little interest in going outside for the twice daily walk. This can lead to deficiencies in the minimum amount of exercise necessary for health and well-being. CBD has been shown in human studies to be an effective alternative to prescribed and over-the-counter pain and inflammation relievers when taken in oil or edible form or rubbed into the skin as a topical. Your beloved dog should benefit in the same way.
What to look for in CBD products for Dogs
It’s theorized that the first dog ancestors approached human encampments and “self-domesticated” possibly because they smelled what was cooking around Neolithic campfires and were intelligent enough to know where to find a free meal of roast mastodon.
But contrary to what you may think, dogs are not strict carnivores. They require vitamins, minerals and fiber derived from fruits, grains and vegetables. The best dog food undergoes strict testing and regulation by veterinarians to ensure quality and purity. These same guidelines for quality and purity are followed for all CBD products manufactured by Oliver’s Harvest, including products made for your beloved pet dogs. Here’s what to look for in quality CBD products for your dog:
- CBD oils and treats made with only natural, organic ingredients
- Products certified for quality, safety and purity by independent, third-party laboratories
- Broad spectrum CBD products containing multiple cannabinoids, high potency and zero-THC
- Known source of the hemp plants: Oliver’s Harvest hemp is grown in Asheville, N.C.
- CBD products using organic alcohol extraction – the most natural method to get all beneficial plant materials from hemp
Best CBD Products for Dogs
There are lots of choices out there when it comes to CBD products for your dog. But are they all the same? The simple answer is no they are not. Some CBD pet products may inadvertently contain additives or harmful substances, such as pesticides or herbicides.
Oliver’s Harvest CBD products for dogs contain only natural ingredients and hemp-derived CBD grown on our own organic farm in the Blue Ridge Mountains of North Carolina. Our treats are made with the best ingredients, carefully selected with your pet’s wellness in mind.
Here’s a sample of the most popular CBD oil treats for your dog:
- CBD Oil Products for Pets (Bacon or Chicken Flavor)– Dogs can’t resist the flavor of bacon or chicken. These flavored CBD pet oils are entirely gluten-free, and 100 percent non-GMO. They are available in 250 mg and 500 mg CBD concentrations and may help reduce the effects of normal environmental stress and maintain calmness in your dogs.
- Pet Essentials Peanut Butter CBD Treats– Have you ever noticed how dogs can’t seem to get enough peanut butter? Dogs have a natural instinct to seek out certain chemicals signaling nutrient-rich foods and peanut butter gives the smell of that. Oliver’s Harvest Pet Essentials CBD dog treats are made with natural peanut butter and hemp extract organically grown in the U.S. and are pharmacist-formulated and lab-tested to ensure the highest quality.
- Pet Essentials CBD Joint Support– Joint disorders in dogs are unfortunately common in many breeds. They can be hereditary or come on as your dog ages. Oliver’s Harvest Our CBD joint formula combines the natural properties of cannabidiol and other proven ingredients to promote healthy joints, such as:
- CBD, which acts upon endocannabinoid receptors within the joints to help minimize discomfort and promote a healthy inflammatory response.
- Glucosamine may stimulate the production of proteoglycans, which helps maintain the health and resiliency of joints and connective tissue.
- Chondroitin helps to retain fluid in the joints. This may help cushion joints from friction, therefore helping to reduce discomfort.
- Hyaluronic acid promotes the lubrication of joints and shock absorption capacity.
- Methylsulfonylmethane (MSM), which is a natural anti-inflammatory and analgesic.
- Turmeric powder has natural properties, which make it a strong anti-inflammatory agent.
- Manganese ascorbate helps to promote a healthy inflammatory response.
If you are unsure as to which Oliver’s Harvest CBD product to use, try using our Pet Product Selection Tool here. Chose a flavored CBD oil in bacon or chicken that’s easy to give to your dog and one that he or she will love.
How Much CBD Oil Should I Give My Dog?
It’s generally a good idea to start any CBD regimen with lower serving sizes and gradually build up to higher amounts always noting how your puppy tolerates it.
Remember that each dog is different, and doses vary by the weight of your dog and the concentration of CBD oil in the product. It’s important that you follow the chart in the directions within the product label for recommended use.
The use of CBD oil in dogs is not widely researched, therefore, it’s advisable to start out with small amounts and then closely monitor the effects. And always check with your veterinarian first.
The use of hemp-derived CBD oil products by dog owners to reduce anxiety, support healthy joints and connective tissue, and manage pain is becoming more common as the benefits become more apparent.
You are your dog’s best advocate. Whenever starting a new dietary regimen, it’s best to start with lower dosages and build up as your dog gets used to it. This may take several weeks before you or your pet notice benefits.
Always consult with your veterinarian before introducing CBD oil products into your dog’s diet and be diligent about noticing any changes in behavior or physical activity. Over time, your dog may grow accustomed to the deliciously flavored CBD treats you provide and benefit in overall health and wellness.